I think it is safe to say that the possibilities are endless when it comes to making Macaroni Salad. I enjoy quite a few different kinds. One that I really like is Macaroni Shrimp Salad. Macaroni Shrimp Salad is a tad orange in color. It is full of salad shrimp and sweet peas with touches of fresh dill, onion, pepper and paprika. It is perfect to make the day before and let sit in the fridge to allow the flavors to blend together and the contents to soak up the dressing a bit.
I grew up on white macaroni salad, but with the shrimp and sweet pea combo in this particular salad I really like the tanginess of the orange sauce. Macaroni Shrimp Salad is great for your summer cookout or to take to your neighbors BBQ. Heck! Whip it up this weekend for Memorial Day!
Macaroni Shrimp Salad
This is a huge batch meant for 15-20 people. I half this recipe if I am not making it for a large gathering. Leftovers are good for about 4 days in the fridge. I like to make it the day before the event so the flavors have time to blend, and the sauce gets soaked up into the contents a bit.
- 1-1 1/2 lbs frozen salad shrimp thawed over night in the fridge
- 1, 16oz bag of frozen sweet peas thawed overnight in the fridge
- 7-8 stalks of celery washed and trimmed
- 1/4-1/3c onion or green onion diced small
- 1, 16oz box of elbow macaroni
- 1 3/4c mayonnaise (I used lite)
- 3/4c French Dressing (I used lite)
- 2 TB sugar
- 3 TB dill pickle juice
- 2 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Fresh dill (your choice how much)
- Boil macaroni to al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside to cool and drain.
- Slice and dice up the celery stalks.
- In a bowl put the diced celery, diced onion, thawed and drained peas.
- Rinse the thawed salad shrimp well, and then squeeze excess moisture out of them by
- Put the shrimp in the bowl with the celery, onion, and peas.
- When macaroni is cooled to room temp and drained well, add to the celery/shrimp
- Mince some fresh dill and add that too
- Set aside
- Next in a fresh bowl combine the mayonnaise, French Dressing, sugar, pickle juice,
paprika, black pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk together until combined well and
smooth. (I use a jar with tight lid instead of a
bowl. Then I can just shake it well until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until all the goodies are coated.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Best made the day before.)